Thursday, May 24, 2012

Meghana + Justin, May 2011: Part I

So this post is a bit overdue... well MUCH overdue - about a YEAR overdue!!  But, it's here now, so I hope you enjoy :)

To be quite honest, this was my very first wedding I ever did (well if you don't count the one I captured in Ukraine with a film camera of which I didn't keep the negatives).  I jumped at the chance to photograph my friend Meghana's wedding, though I was also so terrified at undertaking such a huge responsibility.  Looking back there were some things I could or should have done differently but one lives and learns from experiences, mistakes and taking risks... and one also has to start somewhere!

Even though the wedding happened a year ago, I still recall a lot of details about the event.  Meghana had a Mehndi party a couple of days before the wedding and I jumped at the chance to document the occasion.  I've never been to one but I was familiar with Henna.  She supplied henna for me and our friends in highschool and I've actually decorated my own hands with it and then saran wrapped them overnight!  I was really excited about seeing a skilled Mehndi artist decorate the bride before the big day so couldn't let the opportunity pass me by.

Some of my favorite images:

Meghana's sister applying henna to one of the girls.
Mehndi_009


Meghana getting hers professionally done.
Mehndi_023

Mehndi_028


Mehndi_032

Mehndi_037

Mehndi_040_1


Wow!!  They're professionals for a reason!! Such intricately detailed work.

Mehndi_042

Mehndi_043

Mehndi_044

Meghana's mom helping out.
Mehndi_070

Mehndi_073

Mehndi_098

This is one of my favorite, favorite images... there's nothing technically spectacular about it... but I love how Meghana's father is helping out by holding the lights so the artist can finish her work.  I find it so endearing :)
Mehndi_102

All finished!  By this point I was literally so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open... but I had to snap some photos of the *almost* finished result.  The henna had to remain on her skin overnight!
Mehndi_107


Stay tuned for Part II: The Wedding Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...