Friday, March 25, 2011

Mexican Red Knee Meriwether

Meet our Mexican red knee tarantula Meriwether.  We're not sure if it's a male or female, but will find out in time.

Meriwether 3 wsig


Our other tarantula Phineas, a curly hair, passed away a few days ago from old age.  Males, after they become mature, live for another year.  Ideally, they find a mate and die shortly after that, but Phin Phin didn't have that luxury.  We got him when he was just the size of a house spider about two years ago, so he lived for a good two years.  I'll post pics of Phineas on another day, but here are a couple more of Meriwether.

Meriwether 2.b


Charge!

2 comments:

  1. Irina, is there a story behind your tarantulas' names? They are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, you're the first one to ask! There's no story except that I really like unique names.. I'm constantly thinking about what our kid's name will be. "Meriwether" and "Phineas" were on the list, but I decided that those are a little too unique so assigned them to our tarantulas instead! lol Also, the name Phineas has always stuck in my mind ever since I read the book A Separate Peace by John Knowles when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...